Request a Name Change
Please follow the steps below to request a name change with the Supreme Court of Texas. Please contact the Clerk's office at the Texas Supreme Court with any questions at (512) 463-1312.
- You must submit the following items to the Supreme Court of Texas:
- A request for name change form [PDF].
- A copy of the marriage certificate, divorce decree, or court order which changed your name.
- For a new Bar card: Remit a separate check in the amount of $25 made payable to the Clerk of the Supreme Court of Texas.
- For a new law license: Return your old license and remit a separate check in the amount of $25 made payable to the Clerk of the Supreme Court of Texas.
- Please mail your items, along with a SASE to:
Supreme Court of Texas
P.O. Box 12248
Austin, Texas 78711-2248
The Court usually takes 10 business days to complete this process. A new bar card or law license will be sent to you if one was requested upon completion of the name change.
If you still have questions, please contact the Clerk's office at (512) 463-1312 or visit www.supreme.courts.state.tx.us